Day 5: What advice would you give for getting unstuck?
Getting unstuck. Right up my life coaching alley.
But, usually when I coach someone through getting unstuck, it's in fluid dialogue and we brain storm together. And, it deals with their current reality.
Since we can't do that here. I'll give you some things that I do to get unstuck, and see if they will help you or trigger some creativity of your own. You find your rhythm.
When I'm stuck, I get "unstuck" by:
- Change my routine. This may mean going to a different coffee shop in a different part of town...to do work, have some meetings or check some emails or simply try a new seat and a new brew and open my journal.
- Change my perspective. When I'm stuck, it's because I get tunnel vision, I'm thinking to linear and I'm losing the big picture. So, to help cure this, I'll go to a different part of my city to pray, or get a high up view of a landmark in town or a panorama view of my city.
- Get out a pen and paper. Almost all of my tools are digital. Sometimes I get stuck using them. So, I get out my paper journal and favorite pen, then boom, I start writing and drawing and doodling and before you know it, I have more clarity and direction on my goals and projects.
- Read a book. And I don't mean just any book either. I mean one totally outside of your normal reading. One that you'd never pick up because it has nothing to do with your business, clients, job, organization, etc...but that's the point, fresh new thinking and perspective like #2, and it helps get you unstuck.
- Skype a friend. Without a doubt, this never fails. My friend will say, "hey bro, what project you working on these days" and then I'm off and explaining it, saying where I'm stuck, then wham-o, it happens, I arrive at some clarity, I get unstuck by talking it out...
So, those are 5 simple strategies I use to get unstuck.
I think they can apply not only to your work but to fitness, nutrition, relationships, or anything else as well. For example, if you are any friend of hitting the weight room, you know about Plateaus. It's being stuck. So, what do you do? You change your routine, #1 above.
It applies to many facets of life.
Go get unstuck.
Leave some comments of your own strategies.